Replacing a garage door can be an intimidating task – but it doesn’t have to be! With the right preparation and know-how, you can make the process run smoothly. To help you out, here are 5 things you should consider if you are thinking about replacing your garage door. Doing your research ahead of time will ensure that the installation goes as quickly and efficiently as possible so that you can enjoy your new look for years to come.
- Measure Twice, Buy Once: The size of your garage door opening will determine the size of the new door you need to purchase. Carefully measure the width and height of your existing garage door opening before purchasing a new one. For reference, some common sizes for single-car garages are 8×7 ft, 9×7 ft, and 16×7 ft. For double-car garages, some common sizes are 16×7 ft and 18×8 ft. If you’re looking for something larger or smaller than these standard sizes, many manufacturers offer custom sizing options to meet your needs.
- Choose Your Style & Material Wisely: Garage doors come in many different styles and materials including steel, wood, vinyl, and composite materials. Consider which material is best for your climate and lifestyle—for instance, if you live in an area with extreme temperatures or high humidity, then synthetic materials may be more suitable than wood. Also, consider whether you prefer a classic look or want something more modern or unique depending on the style of your home.
- Don’t Skimp On Insulation: If you live in an area with cold winter temperatures, then insulation can be a great way to save money on energy bills. The more insulated your garage door is, the more energy efficient it will be.
- Consider Automatic Openers: Installing a motorized opener for your garage door is another way to make life easier and safer—it also adds value to your home. Automation gives you the convenience of being able to open and close your garage door without having to leave your car or use a remote control unit.
- Hire A Professional Installer: Replacing a garage door isn’t something that should be attempted by someone who doesn’t have experience. Hiring a professional will ensure that the entire process is completed correctly and safely. A professional installer can also help you make sure your new door is properly insulated and will provide tips on how to maintain it.
It’s essential to understand the different components of a garage door system so that you avoid making choices that could cost you more in the long run. Making the decision to replace your garage door may feel overwhelming at first, but with proper planning, it’s easier than you think! Armed with these 5 important tips, you’ll be ready to tackle this project and love the way your new garage door looks for years to come. If you’re considering replacing your garage door and are looking for one, contact us today at Crews Garage Door – our expert installers would love to help guide you on this project! We have available garage doors that will suit your personal and business needs!